The CAWGC was founded in 1933 as the Joliet Contractors’ Association. In 1961 the name was changed to reflect the larger geographic region it represented – the Will County Contractors Association. Then in 1974 the association became the Contractors Association of Will and Grundy Counties when it was merged with the Grundy County Contractors Association.
The many who chaired the association over the decades are honored on the Chairman’s Honor Roll plaque which is displayed in the Plans Room. In addition, the Honor Roll is published in this directory.
In January 2002 the association purchased the building at 233 North Springfield Avenue in Joliet to serve as the association’s headquarters. The CAWGC is proud to have their own building where meeting the needs of the members is foremost. The plan room is complete with an engineering copier, computer with DSL internet service and plotter that are all available for the members use. In 2007 digital plan room viewing and printing service was added. In the fall of 2012 the CAWGC remodeled and now has a 665 SF room which is available to hold seminars and meetings. In 2021 the CAWGC install a state-of-art video conferencing room.
The thriving CAWGC is over 200 members strong and is proud to be the voice of the commercial, industrial, and institutional construction industry for eight decades.